How Open Source Is Powering the Modern Mainframe

• open mainframe

To learn more about open source and mainframe, join us May 15 at 1:00 pm ET for a webinar led by Open Mainframe Project members Steven Dickens of IBM, Len Santalucia of Vicom Infinity, and Vincent Terrone of AIG.

When I mention the word :undefined:“:undefined:mainframe:undefined:”:undefined: to someone, the natural response is colored by a view of an architecture of days gone by :undefined:—:undefined: perhaps even invoking a memory of the Epcot Spaceship Earth ride. This is the heritage of mainframe, but it is certainly not its present state.

From the days of the System/360 in the mid 1960s through to the modern mainframe of the z14, the systems have been designed along four guiding principles of security, availability, performance, and scalability. This is exactly why mainframes are entrenched in the industries where those principles are top level requirements :undefined:—:undefined: think banking, insurance, healthcare, transportation, government, and retail. You can:undefined:’:undefined:t go a single day without being impacted by a mainframe :undefined:—:undefined: whether that:undefined:’:undefined:s getting a paycheck, shopping in a store, going to the doctor, or taking a trip.

What is often a surprise to people is how massive open source is on mainframe. Ninety percent of mainframe customers leverage Linux on their mainframe, with broad support across all the top Linux distributions along with a growing number of community distributions. Key open source applications such as MongoDB, Hyperledger, Docker, and PostgreSQL thrive on the architecture and are actively used in production. And DevOps culture is strong on mainframe, with tools such as Chef, Kubernetes, and OpenStack used for managing mainframe infrastructure alongside cloud and distributed.

Learn more

You can learn more about open source and mainframe, both the history along with the current and future states of open source on mainframe, in our upcoming presentation. Join us May 15 at 1:00pm ET for a session led by Open Mainframe Project members Steven Dickens of IBM, Len Santalucia of Vicom Infinity, and Vincent Terrone of AIG.

In the meantime, check out our podcast series :undefined:“:undefined:I Am A Mainframer:undefined:”:undefined: on bothiTunes andStitcher to learn more about the people who work with mainframe and what they see the future of mainframe to be.

The postHow Open Source Is Powering the Modern Mainframe appeared first onThe Linux Foundation.

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/how-open-source-is-powering-the-modern-mainframe/

• Make ISO from DVD

In this case I had an OS install disk which was required to be on a virtual node with no optical drive, so I needed to transfer an image to the server to create a VM

Find out which device the DVD is:

lsblk

Output:

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 1G 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 0 464.8G 0 part ├─centos-root 253:0 0 50G 0 lvm / ├─centos-swap 253:1 0 11.8G 0 lvm [SWAP] └─centos-home 253:2 0 403G 0 lvm /home sdb 8:16 1 14.5G 0 disk /mnt sr0 11:0 1 4.1G 0 rom /run/media/rick/CCSA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5

Therefore /dev/sr0 is the location , or disk to be made into an ISO

I prefer simplicity, and sometimes deal with the fallout after the fact, however Ive repeated this countless times with success.

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=win10.iso

Where if=Input file and of=output file

I chill out and do something else while the image is being copied/created, and the final output:

8555456+0 records in 8555456+0 records out 4380393472 bytes (4.4 GB) copied, 331.937 s, 13.2 MB/s

Fin!

read more
  • Recreate postrgresql database template encode to ASCII

UPDATE pg_database SET datistemplate = FALSE WHERE datname = 'template1';

Now we can drop it:

DROP DATABASE template1;

Create database from template0, with a new default encoding:

CREATE DATABASE template1 WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'UNICODE'; UPDATE pg_database SET datistemplate = TRUE WHERE datname = 'template1'; \c template1 VACUUM FREEZE;

read more
});